From: Joel Merrick <joel@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] Gentoo-performance forum?
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:45:37
Daniel Armyr wrote:

>Which parameters do you intend on including? >Only hardware or kernel-configs as well? Compiler flags? >Hardware settings? > >
All to be honest, include as many fields as possible, but not make them compulsary Please help me elaborate if possible Here's the current list.. _Hardware Specifics_ Architecture CPU Motherboard Bus Speed Clock Speed RAM Type RAM Amount RAM Speed Video Card Type Video Card RAM Amount Video Card RAM Speed _Build and Environment Specifics_ CFLAGS LDFLAGS etc _Kernel Specifics_ Kernel Type & Version (from Vanilla) Kernel Patchsets (gentoo, ck, love, nitro etc..) Build date Other Parameters PLUS MAYBE AN OPTION TO UPLOAD YOUR .config??!! etc _Sys Specifics_ sysctl tuning Other tuning _X Specifics_ Xfree/Xorg version USE flags used to compile? _HD Specifics_ hdparm settings RAID? What RAID Level? _BENCHMARKS!!_ It may be best to define what the delegated system task is.. I mean, it's no point running Xfbench for a non-X server, of course! Plus games would prefer graphics and systems benchmarkis, rather than a DB benchmark.. There's a lot of software out there, that benchmark a lot of programs and a lot of subsystems! Plus maybe percieved performace increases, like prelinking, editing boot-up scripts etc.. I'm sure there's a lot of points of contention there, plus a hell of a lot I've missed out... Feel free to rip apart at will.