From: Roman Zimmermann <mereandor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-performance] Speeding up program starts with squashfs
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 19:20:27
deer, list!

I currently try to minimize the application startup-time for my gentoo-laptop.
Even with prelink it takes about one minute to start kde and all programs in
autostart due to the heavy disk i/o load.
In the last days I did some tests with taking a copy of my regular /usr (ext3)
dir and storing it in a squashfs file. I then mount it as loopback device
on /usr. (Leaving the original copy still intact but hidden.)

Those are the effects I try to achieve:
1. The filesystem has no fragmentation at all. Files in my regular /usr dir
are somewhat fragmented, but not too badly.
2. It's compressed: less disk i/o and more cpu load.

So far the results have been promising. With the new squashfs I'm down to
around 50 secs (-16%). But at the moment my benchmark methods are quite
primitve. I simply have a stopwatch nearby and meassure the time from login
to when the disk is idle again. I'm looking forward to some input on this.

greets
Roman