From: Mansour Moufid <mansourmoufid@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Bad desktop performance, I think (was: Re: [gentoo-performance] Hello? Thump-thump?)
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 20:01:32
1 Hello all,
2
3 On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 6:07 AM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
4 > I am a little disappointed by the performance of my system. mplayer
5 > sometimes stutters a little during the calculation phase of emerge -DpN
6 > @world, swfdec-player does so even more. Well, sometimes even without
7 > emerges, I guess this flash player is not coded so well.
8 >
9 > My system is not the fastest, silence and low power consumption was more
10 > important for me. Still, it should be fast enough I think. I have an AMD
11 > Athlon(tm) Dual Core Processor 4850e CPU (using -march), 4GB of memory, an
12 > 1.5 TB drive. The whole system is encrypted (aes-xts-plain) and LVMed.
13 > While the LVM overhead should be small, encryption of course creates some
14 > extra load. /var/tmp/portage is an unencrypted tmpfs volume though. kernel
15 > is 2.6.31-tuxonice. I'm running KDE4 with desktop effects enabled (running
16 > ati-drivers), X itself takes about 30-40% of CPU time according to top.
17 > mplayer itself needs less than 20%.
18
19 I also use LVM encryption, and mplayer plays 720p at 30 fps just fine
20 with only the integrated Intel graphics and 1 GB of RAM. So, I suspect
21 you are just not using the full potential of your CPU.
22
23 If you haven't already: grep flags /proc/cpuinfo; add any of the
24 {mmx,mmext,sse,sse2,ssse3,3dnow,3dnowext} flags there along with
25 "custom-cpuopts" to your mplayer line in /etc/portage/package.use;
26 then re-emerge of course.
27
28 With 4GB if RAM you should probably also set swappiness to a lower
29 value than default.
30
31 That's all I can think of for now, good luck!
34 Mansour Moufid