From: gramhorst@××××××××××××.ar
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] Resources for Gentoo Desktop Performance Tuning
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:21:38
Thank again! I will do just that, as I have plenty of space on my hd.
As I'm relatively new to Linux, I've been playing around with different alternatives. Of course Gentoo was the choice after some tries and yes, I've built my own kernel, from stage1.
So far, XFCE4 with some light and fast theme (glider, for instance) seems to be fair enough for what i do.
Although I've emerged OOo, as you say is overkill. Abiword is pretty fine.
But I still don't have the responsiveness while using one application, that I had with windoze XP on the same system. Of course you wouldn't compare the stability, security, design, etc that Linux and particularily Gentoo offers, but I think that with the right tuning, at least I could get the same responsiveness.
For instance, I use Thunderbird for mail and RSS, but I find it extremely slow, mainly when switching windows (write mail, go back to inbox, move to folder dragging-and-dropping, etc).
The concern I have is that after emerging so many things, perhaps it will be a good idea to build a _new_  gentoo system with just what I want/choose.
I will do the tests and anything worth comenting I will follow-up here.
Thanks again.
Willy.