From: gramhorst@××××××××××××.ar
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] Resources for Gentoo Desktop Performance Tuning
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:21:38
1 Thank again! I will do just that, as I have plenty of space on my hd.
2 As I'm relatively new to Linux, I've been playing around with different alternatives. Of course Gentoo was the choice after some tries and yes, I've built my own kernel, from stage1.
3 So far, XFCE4 with some light and fast theme (glider, for instance) seems to be fair enough for what i do.
4 Although I've emerged OOo, as you say is overkill. Abiword is pretty fine.
5 But I still don't have the responsiveness while using one application, that I had with windoze XP on the same system. Of course you wouldn't compare the stability, security, design, etc that Linux and particularily Gentoo offers, but I think that with the right tuning, at least I could get the same responsiveness.
6 For instance, I use Thunderbird for mail and RSS, but I find it extremely slow, mainly when switching windows (write mail, go back to inbox, move to folder dragging-and-dropping, etc).
7 The concern I have is that after emerging so many things, perhaps it will be a good idea to build a _new_ gentoo system with just what I want/choose.
8 I will do the tests and anything worth comenting I will follow-up here.
9 Thanks again.
10 Willy.
13 ----- Mensaje original -----
14 De: Jonathan Smith <smithj@g.o>
15 Fecha: Miércoles, Junio 29, 2005 6:39 pm
16 Asunto: Re: [gentoo-performance] Resources for Gentoo Desktop Performance Tuning
17
60 > --
61 > gentoo-performance@g.o mailing list
66 gentoo-performance@g.o mailing list