From: MAL <mal@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-performance@g.o
Cc: jesse@×××××××××××.net
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] tmpfs Questions
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 13:09:36
1 Jesse Jacobs wrote:
2 > I've read about a deadlock condition.
3 > What would constitute a oversive tmpfs?
4 > I thought anything unable to be allocated would be paged out to swap.
5
6 No, if you run out of tmpfs, that's it.. you're out of disk space.. it
7 wont use swap to emulate disk space.
8
9 > What would be the max size of /var/tmp?
10
11 well, your memory capacity... but if you filled it up, your system would
12 have no memory to execute code (ie. compile).
13
14 The default, half your RAM, is sensible.
15
16 > ie. when building openoffice would ram(512) + 4GB swap suffice?
17
18 using tmpfs as /var/tmp isn't a good plan... having more memory freely
19 available for gcc to use will result in faster compilation. the temp
20 files are only going to be makefiles and binaries, as gcc -pipe means no
21 temporary compilation files are used.
22
23 Unless your machine has 4GB of ram, I wouldn't use tmpfs for storage.
24 Not to mention that tmpfs needs to be mounted on /dev/shm for rpc calls too.
25
26 MAL
30 gentoo-performance@g.o mailing list