From: Daniel Armyr <daniel.armyr@××××.se>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] Advice for CFLAGS
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 05:37:06
1 > Well, I suppose that's part of the problem. What does O3 improve?
2
3 I cannot speak for the -03 from gcc specifically, but most
4 optimizations tend to increase the processes within the CPU. Further,
5 for them to help, the compiler tends to need to, at compile time, know
6 how the code will run. As such, it does almost nothing for event-driven
7 code like the entire X-windows system. Further, I would like to see the
8 linux computer today which has a processing problem when it comes to X.
9 The disk-access times to load binaries far overshadow anything
10 processor related in all computers I have seen.
11
12 My suggestion to the general user: Get raided, super-fast scsi disks and
13 a mobo with low-latency memory if you want a truly fast computer.