From: Derek Tracy <tracyde@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] Speeding up program starts with squashfs
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 20:35:26
1 On 5/9/07, lnxg33k <lnxg33k@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I can't speak about squashfs. However, as Derek Tracy eluded to, you can
4 > do
5 > other things to improve performance such as running a different init
6 > system. I
7 > remembering trying init-ng a while back and it ran fine, but I didn't want
9 > take the time to mess with it too much and reverted back to sysVinit.
10 > There is
11 > a wiki on different init systems [1].
12 >
13 > You may also want to check the forums for discussions on bootchart. This
14 > is a
15 > boot time monitor that generates graphs of load times. I've never run it,
16 > but
17 > people seem to get a lot of success from it. Hopefully that's some useful
18 > place
19 > to start even if it's not related to squashfs.
20 >
21 > [1] http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Speed_up_your_boot_time
22 > --
23 > gentoo-performance@g.o mailing list
26 lnxg33k
27
28 Roman isn't looking to speed up his boot, he is looking to speed up
29 application startup times after boot. I was eluding to the possibility to
30 use Readahead to pre-load a ramdisk immediately after the OS boots. I
31 didn't want to throw his e-mail off topic.
36 Derek Tracy
37 tracyde@×××××.com