From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] Horrible performance
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 08:04:30
1 Hi Alex,
2
3 On Wednesday 25 August 2010 03:32:40 Alex Schuster wrote:
4 > Me again.
5 >
6 > I have an AMD Athlon(tm) Dual Core Processor 4850e CPU, on-board Radeon HD
7 > 3200 graphics, 4GB of memory, an 1.5 TB drive. Lots of LVM volumes, all
8 > encrypted, except for /usr/src and portage stuff. The system is ~amd64,
9 > and I have -march=k8-sse3 in my CFLAGS. Current kernel is 2.6.34-tuxonice,
10 > but I also tried others. I'm running KDE4 with desktop effects enabled, X
11 > itself takes about 30-40% of CPU time according to top. After system
12 > startup and login into KDE, 3.5G of RAM are occupied. This increases after
13 > a while, and I need swap space. Nothing to worry about I think.
14
15 Encrypted filesystems can cause additional with activity, but I would expect
16 that to remain the same over a long period.
17 However, how is the write and read performance on those disks?
18
19 You're running KDE4, guess you went for the default and use mysql for "app-
20 office/akonadi-server".
21
22 I switched to using "sqlite" for this due to issues getting it to work with
23 mysql. I think this might help there?
24
25 > Performance does not feel too bad at first. But after a while, I cannot
26 > even play videos during emerges. The playback stutters, sometimes I have
27 > pauses for several seconds. As long as there is no swap space occpied,
28 > it's not so bad I think. Maybe I have a probelm with disk I/O, and things
29 > get much worse when swapping occurs. When I look at iotop, I see
30 > various programs like chromium and various KDE applications appear. I
31 > guess that's normal, but should not be noticeable. Hey, there were times
32 > when I created a 2G tmpfs for /var/tmp/portage, with only 3G on
33 > my 32bit system. BTW, I lowered my swappiness to 10. This helps a little I
34 > think, because the swapping occurs later, the system is more responsive.
35
36 Do you also encrypt swap?
37 Disk I/O is, in my experience, a very common cause for "freeze-ups".
38 Can you test with unencrypted disks to see if the issue occurs then as well?
39
40 > And I have similar problems when copying data between some old PATA
41 > drives. When I copy stuff and do a mkfs on another partition, mplayer
42 > sometimes stutters and hangs for ten seconds. No joy. Working with KDE
43 > sucks, switching dektops sometimes takes ages, and even now I am typing
44 > faster than kmail can display the characters. That's with am emerge of
45 > chromium running, with PORTAGE_NICENESS=10 and using ionice -c 3. Load is
46 > around 8, but sometimes gets even higher. And then, load suddenly drops
47 > back to lower values, as if somthing was blocking. Some applications
48 > swapping, maybe.
49
50 Very possibly, maybe an idea to check which applications are hogging the
51 memory. If it is the swapping of the system, then this will be caused by the
52 most memory-hungry processes.
53
54 Can you post the result of: "ps axu"?
55 This will give an indication which processes are running and using a lot of
56 memory.
57
58 > Now I am out of ideas. I really hope someone here has one. I cannot work
59 > with this system any more when emerges are going on.
60
61 Had similar issues with a desktop machine myself, managed to kill some
62 "features" that I wasn't using and this solved most of the problems.
63
64 > I put my kernel config, make.conf, dmesg and such stuff to
65 > http://www.wonkology.org/gentoo/ in case someone wants to have a look at
66 > it. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
67
68 Lets see where checking for IO-speeds and memory-usage of your apps take us :)
71 Joost