From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] Horrible performance
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 10:06:58
1 On Thursday 26 August 2010 01:06:59 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > J. Roeleveld writes:
3 > > Can you post the result of: "ps axu"?
4 > > This will give an indication which processes are running and using a
5 > > lot of memory.
6 >
7 > The fifth colums gives the memory, right? Should this add up to the total
8 > of the 'used' column in free -m?
9 >
10 > Because it does not:
11 >
12 > wonko@weird ~ $ free -m
13 > total used free shared buffers cached
14 > Mem: 3452 3117 334 0 39 279
15 > -/+ buffers/cache: 2798 653
16 > Swap: 4094 1472 2622
17 >
18 > wonko@weird ~ $ total=0; for rss in $( ps aux | grep -v USER | awk '{print
19 > $6}' ); do (( total += rss )); done; echo $(( total / 1024 ))
22 > So, I get a sum of around 2 G with ps, while free -m shows 4.5 G. Whoops?
23 > Am I missing something here, or does it look like lots of RAM is not being
24 > freed?
25 >
26 > Wonko
27
28 Don't forget the buffers/cache.
29 The 2.5G you're missing is what is used in the buffers/cache line.
30
31 At least, that is how I see it.
32 Also, I generally look at the percentages used for the memory to find the
33 memory-hogs.
34
35 And your tv-viewer (java) is using quite a bit as well.
36 Maybe someone with more experience with tv-viewer apps can take a look and
37 maybe give a few pointers?
40 Joost