From: Jesse Guardiani <jesse@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-performance] Re: portage performance
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 23:18:11
1 Jerry McBride wrote:
2
3 > Jesse Guardiani wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hello,
6 >>
7 >> First off, sorry if this isn't the right place!
8 >> I didn't see anything more appropriate though, except
9 >> perhaps Portage-dev, but I'm not a developer.
10 >>
11 >> I'm a FreeBSD user switching to Gentoo for my home
12 >> system. Linux 2.6 is a LOT more stable than any
13 >> FreeBSD 5.x-RELEASE kernels right now, and Linux
14 >> has much better support for Wine and such.
15 >>
16 >> One of the most obvious differences between FreeBSD
17 >> ports and Gentoo Portage is how LONG it takes to
18 >> search for ports/packages with Portage.
19 >>
20 >> I have 525 ports installed on my FreeBSD laptop right
21 >> now, and probably only half of that installed on the
22 >> Gentoo machine, but the gentoo machine crunches a lot
23 >> more doing a --search than the FreeBSD machine does
24 >> with a pkg_version -vs 'name'.
25 >>
26 >> And forget about --searchdesc! That takes ages!
27 >>
28 >> Is portage not hash indexed or something?
31 > The main problem is this.... the portage database is a file system based
32 > mechanism. That is to say, when you update, search or otherwise use
33 > emerge, the program is busy as hell leafing through thousands of files
34 > looking for what you want..
35 >
36 > "Hashed", "indexed"??? Not even close....
37 >
38 > Portage is begging for a decent database engine and I pray it's sql
39 > based....
40 >
41 > The other hitch is that portage is written in an interpreted language,
42 > Python. Python is an excellent programming language, no doubt about it,
43 > but performance isn't one of it's highlights. Moving portage to C would be
44 > so much better....
45
46 What about O'Caml? Nearly as fast as C, but without the bugs...
47 Hard to learn, yes, but technically very appealing. It can even compile
48 directly into machine code on many platforms. I recently learned
49 O'Caml so I could write a billing system hook and keep it fast. It's
50 a very nice language.
53 Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
54 WingNET Internet Services,
55 P.O. Box 2605 // Cleveland, TN 37320-2605
56 423-559-LINK (v) 423-559-5145 (f)
57 http://www.wingnet.net
62 gentoo-performance@g.o mailing list