From: Jesse Guardiani <jesse@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-performance] portage performance
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 20:30:50
Hello,

First off, sorry if this isn't the right place!
I didn't see anything more appropriate though, except
perhaps Portage-dev, but I'm not a developer.

I'm a FreeBSD user switching to Gentoo for my home
system. Linux 2.6 is a LOT more stable than any
FreeBSD 5.x-RELEASE kernels right now, and Linux
has much better support for Wine and such.

One of the most obvious differences between FreeBSD
ports and Gentoo Portage is how LONG it takes to
search for ports/packages with Portage.

I have 525 ports installed on my FreeBSD laptop right
now, and probably only half of that installed on the
Gentoo machine, but the gentoo machine crunches a lot
more doing a --search than the FreeBSD machine does
with a pkg_version -vs 'name'.

And forget about --searchdesc! That takes ages!

Is portage not hash indexed or something?

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,