From: Jeremy Brake <gentoolists@×××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] gentoo-performance
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 06:56:21
1 Alec Warner wrote:
2
4 >Hash: SHA1
5 >
6 >Jeremy Brake wrote:
9 >>How about speeding up the wait time on updating the portage cache after
10 >>a sync.. even on my AMD 64 3500 it takes a number of minutes to chug
11 >>through..
12 >>are there any known ways to "vrrmmm" this up a little?
13 >>
14 >>Jeremy
18 >Well the current problem is that in the 2.0 portage branch the cache
19 >code sucks. This is fixed in ~arch portage ( the 2.1_pre series ). For
20 >you users that don't want to upgrade to unstable, you should be able to
21 >use cdb to speed up the process.
22 >
23 >Setting RSYNC_EXCLUDES will not speed up the second half of the --sync (
24 >the --metadata portion ).
25 >
26 >Explanation: *snip*
29 Thanks Alec, thats a really awesome explaination :)
30
31 My server runs a 5am script which does this, so i'm not too worried
32 about that machine. For those who are curious, its an Athlon 1800+ on a
33 10Mbit link, and it takes between 1 and 10 mins to process " emerge
34 --sync --quiet; emerge -upvD world; glsa-check -t all "
35
36 My home pc is on a 2Mbit link, so I only sync when i feel like checking
37 for updates, or when I want to install something new. This will take
38 minimum of 10 mins just to update the cache most times, sometimes more.
39 Being a home pc, I'm happy to have some unstable stuff installed. How
40 messy would it be to just run ~amd64 portage? would this work, or do I
41 ideally need to make the entire base system ~amd64? (ugh).
42
43 Jeremy
47 gentoo-performance@g.o mailing list