From: Jesse Guardiani <jesse@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-performance] Re: portage performance
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 23:26:21
1 Jerry McBride wrote:
2
3 > Jesse Guardiani wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hello,
6 >>
7 >> First off, sorry if this isn't the right place!
8 >> I didn't see anything more appropriate though, except
9 >> perhaps Portage-dev, but I'm not a developer.
10 >>
11 >> I'm a FreeBSD user switching to Gentoo for my home
12 >> system. Linux 2.6 is a LOT more stable than any
13 >> FreeBSD 5.x-RELEASE kernels right now, and Linux
14 >> has much better support for Wine and such.
15 >>
16 >> One of the most obvious differences between FreeBSD
17 >> ports and Gentoo Portage is how LONG it takes to
18 >> search for ports/packages with Portage.
19 >>
20 >> I have 525 ports installed on my FreeBSD laptop right
21 >> now, and probably only half of that installed on the
22 >> Gentoo machine, but the gentoo machine crunches a lot
23 >> more doing a --search than the FreeBSD machine does
24 >> with a pkg_version -vs 'name'.
25 >>
26 >> And forget about --searchdesc! That takes ages!
27 >>
28 >> Is portage not hash indexed or something?
31 > The BIG hitch in portage is the database strategy....it's file system
32 > based. Basicly it's thousands of small text files... you want to update
33 > the database?.... open, read, close over and over again....
34 >
35 > It sucks.
36 >
37 > Portage is crying for an sql database backend... mysql, sqllite, mmsql...
38 > anything would be nice.
39 >
40 > Tell us more about your bsd ports, it sounds interesting...
41
42 I believe FreeBSD uses an INDEX file in /usr/ports/INDEX, and then
43 compiles that file into a berkeley DB file or something in /usr/ports/INDEX.db.
44
45 I'm not really very fond of FreeBSD ports these days, actually.
46 It has the feel of something hackish, in desperate need of a
47 good bottom-up redesign.
48
49 I'm starting to think that Gentoo's Portage is superior in almost
50 all ways, but I do think this search speed thing needs to be
51 dealt with.
52
53 I'm using esearch now, which is nice, but rebuilding the database is
54 a royal pain in the rear, and the database isn't kept in sync between
55 emerge runs.
56
57 If the esearch database could be updated without having to rebuild
58 the entire thing (or at least without having to look at the filesystem
59 to rebuild the entire thing) after every emerge operation then I think
60 we'd be doing well.
63 Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
64 WingNET Internet Services,
65 P.O. Box 2605 // Cleveland, TN 37320-2605
66 423-559-LINK (v) 423-559-5145 (f)
67 http://www.wingnet.net
72 gentoo-performance@g.o mailing list