From: Azi <azi15@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] portage performance
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 00:17:13
1 Bart Van Kerkhove wrote:
2
3 >Try emerging esearch
4 >
5 >emerge esearch
6 >eupdatedb
7 >esearch <packagename>
8 >
9 >FrostFire
13 >>Hello,
14 >>
15 >>First off, sorry if this isn't the right place!
16 >>I didn't see anything more appropriate though, except
17 >>perhaps Portage-dev, but I'm not a developer.
18 >>
19 >>I'm a FreeBSD user switching to Gentoo for my home
20 >>system. Linux 2.6 is a LOT more stable than any
21 >>FreeBSD 5.x-RELEASE kernels right now, and Linux
22 >>has much better support for Wine and such.
23 >>
24 >>One of the most obvious differences between FreeBSD
25 >>ports and Gentoo Portage is how LONG it takes to
26 >>search for ports/packages with Portage.
27 >>
28 >>I have 525 ports installed on my FreeBSD laptop right
29 >>now, and probably only half of that installed on the
30 >>Gentoo machine, but the gentoo machine crunches a lot
31 >>more doing a --search than the FreeBSD machine does
32 >>with a pkg_version -vs 'name'.
33 >>
34 >>And forget about --searchdesc! That takes ages!
35 >>
36 >>Is portage not hash indexed or something?
37 >>
38 >>--
39 >>Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
40 >>WingNET Internet Services,
41 >>P.O. Box 2605 // Cleveland, TN 37320-2605
42 >>423-559-LINK (v) 423-559-5145 (f)
43 >>http://www.wingnet.net
47 >>--
48 >>gentoo-performance@g.o mailing list
53 >here's a little tip for you guys wanting to speed up portage. I found it in the forums, and it works like a charm.
56 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=153921&highlight=psyco
57 ------
60 gentoo-performance@g.o mailing list