From: Michael Cummings <mcummings@g.o>
To: gentoo-perl@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-perl] libperl: to keep or merge?
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 00:52:34

OK, I think I floated this idea a while back, but it was while I was
trying that zany slotted perl ebuild stuff, and it never made it any
further. Right now we have an ebuild for libperl to build a the shared
library, and the in the regular perl ebuild we build a huge honking
static perl.

I can see some of the rationale of this historically - on a fried box, a
static perl will still run, whereas a dynamic one will be dead if
/usr/lib is toasted.

But seriously, do we really need to keep these separate? Wouldn't a
(pseudo-ebuild syntax) IUSE="...static" and a if static? (myconf=$myconf
- -Dstatic_option) else ( myconf=$myconf -Ddynamic_option) work? (yeah,
that was really bad pseudo-ebuild code, you get the drift).

- --

Michael Cummings   |    #gentoo-dev, #gentoo-perl
Gentoo Perl Dev    |    on irc.freenode.net
Gentoo/SPARC
Gentoo/AMD64
GPG: 0543 6FA3 5F82 3A76 3BF7  8323 AB5C ED4E 9E7F 4E2E