From: Michael Cummings <mcummings@g.o>
To: gentoo-perl@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-perl] Fwd: Réf. : Re: g-cpan ;)
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 18:32:07
1 OK, I'm going to cut this up a little, but to bring everyone into the chain
2 for a discussion cab and I were having about g-cpan (or my responses) :)
3
4 >- What about the --upgrade ? I'm not sure it's a good idea (at least for
5 >now). It relys too much on user's behaviour imho, praying that he didn't
6 >delete/move his overlays/ebuilds. Maybe there could be another way using
7 >/var/db to find what we need. I think that for now beu's suggestion of a
8 >simple --list to get all ebuilds handled by g-cpan would be a better first
9 >step ;)
10
11 I'd kind of like to keep the upgrade (now that it's there). The idea behind it
12 is if user installs module-foo-1 via g-cpan, they can't in the old system
13 upgrade it without removing the ebuilds from their overlay. This gives them
14 the ability to upgrade, as well as to tweak/update for upstream changes. Also
15 means we can say "we don't support it, but use g-cpan to upgrade it" (beu
16 knows what i'm talking about re: recent bug history)
19 >- would a special file dedicated to g-cpan be a good thing ? now that it's
20 >a standalone application, we maybe could have it to be a bit bigger. For
21 >example, this (these) files could allow us to store ebuild infos (what has
22 >already been generated, pathes, versions.. etc), or as small CPAN infos
23 >repository, by having an internal db of versions of every modules without
24 >having to call CPAN each time we launch g-cpan. a g-cpan --update command
25 >would update this mini-db, or we could force it on a regular basis, or add
26 >a check in g-cpan.
27
28 Not sure I follow (I think I do, but could you expand?)
29
30 >- Thinking about config and optional options, wouldn't a config file be an
31 >helpful thing ? let's say a /etc/g-cpan.conf, that would allow us to store
32 >default behaviour, delays between forced update, and such things..
33
34 or ~/.g-cpan.conf since we now support user calls :)
35
36 >smaller things :
37 >
38 >- a special sub for md5ing things ? ($md5 = md5-sum($file)). It would clean
39 >some lines ;)
40
41 as well as the whole scanning the tree parts :)
42 >
43 >- updating exit_usage ;p
44 yeah - thinking we might not want to remove the generated config for cpan,
45 just tell them its there and they can fix it if they want better performance
46
47 >That's all for his hour
48 >Am i thinking too much ? :)
49 maybe :)
59 Michael Cummings | #gentoo-dev, #gentoo-perl
60 Gentoo Perl Dev | on irc.freenode.net