From: Michael Cummings <mcummings@g.o>
To: gentoo-perl@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-perl] Test phase [not enabled]
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 16:27:00
Right now - no. It might be a nice feature to add in a conf file
support later on, but there are a lot of issues with enabling tests.

<begin of long spiel, feel free to bail out on me now>
The problem with globally enabling SRC_TEST="do" (which is what is
missing in the generated ebuilds to finalize the enabling of tests) is
that we don't even do that for ebuilds we do actively maintain. There
are a few reasons for that - some tests are unavoidably interactive;
some are just plain broken; some require conditions we can't provide,
like a db to talk to, an X display to flash on, or an outbound internet
connection. Sadly, not all test sets are created equally. For the 'live'
tree we enable as many as we can, because they can identify potential
problems - but we don't do it for all ebuilds.

The ebuilds generated by g-cpan follow a very generic template with a
few fill in the blanks. There is no way to know in advance (at least via
g-cpan) what you might be dealing with when you enable tests. So,
because g-cpan is supposed to be a generic engine, it doesn't enable
tests, much in the same way it also enables all possible keywords at
once, something we couldn't do in the live tree (not a single pass :)
</ spiel>

Hope that explains it a bit better :)