From: "Beau E. Cox" <beaucox@×××××××××.com>
To: Gentoo-perl <gentoo-perl@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-perl] CPAN ebuild moans and groans
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:32:31
1 Hi Michael et. al.
2
3 I have spent the last two days implementing an 'automatic'
4 CPAN module update system. I had a similar scheme when I
5 used Sorcerer and found it quite usefull. The idea is that
6 I maintain a mirror of CPAN with a daily rsync, and then
7 automatically build .ebuilds in my local PORTDIR, which then are
8 installed during the daily emerge --sync && emerge -uD world.
9 So far so good, but there are several bothersome gentoo
10 'conventions' I feel I want to air:
11
12 1) Who is it that made some CPAN builds lowercase (module-build,
13 not Module-Build, net-server not Net-Server)? Bad idea. It would
14 be easier (for my system, at least) to leave the names in the
15 CPAN form.
16
17 2) Lots of trouble with modules that indicate major versions
18 with 2 digits and minor revisions with four; Module-Build
19 for example:
20 ...
21 Module-Build-0.26
22 Module-Build-0.2610
23 Module-Build-0.2611
24 Module-Build-0.27
25 ...
26 I bypassed this problem by making my ebuild file names as
27 follows:
28 Foo-Bar-1137143770.0.2611.ebuild
29 where 1137143770 is the 'epoch second' date of the tarball.
30 I can then be sure the order is correct and put code
31 in all ebuilds to get rid of the date-seconds:
32 MY_PV=${PV:11} and so on.
33
34 3) I pull my tarballs from my local mirror. I am using my
35 apache server to do this via SRC_URI="http://localhost/..."
36 But sometimes the request goes to my defined gentoo mirror
37 anyway. Why?
38
39 4) How about adding file:/// and rsync:// support for
40 SRC_URI?
43 Aloha => Beau;
47 gentoo-perl@g.o mailing list