From: antoine.raillon@××××.com
To: gentoo-perl@l.g.o
Subject: Réf. : Re: [gentoo-perl] Fwd: Réf. : Re: g-cpan ;)
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 09:37:31
1 special handquoted mail.. :)
5 Michael Cummings
6 <mcummings@gento
7 o.org> Pour
8 gentoo-perl@l.g.o
9 11/05/2005 10:40 cc
10
11 Objet
12 Veuillez Re: [gentoo-perl] Fwd: Réf. : Re:
13 répondre à g-cpan ;)
14 gentoo-perl@gent
15 oo.org
24 On Tuesday 10 May 2005 07:49 pm, Antoine Raillon wrote:
25
26 > Totally agree.
27
28 Nice ! ;)
29 let's clean/stabilize/test things then.
30 I took my laptop at work today, but phone is always ringing for now.. Well,
31 anyway if someone wants to work on the code, svn is there, it should be
32 able to handle multiple modifications.. it's its goal, isn't it ? :)
33
34 > Ah, but if we just avoid cleaning out .cpan, that will cover it. By
35 cleaning
36 > out .cpan each run, we wipe the downloaded files that CPAN uses to do the
37
38 > searches. By not deleting them, CPAN checks for their existence and only
39 > downloads new ones (the modulelist, etc.) if their time stamp is too old.
40
41 well, ok, it could do the job.
42 But we'll have to inform the user about what is going on somewhere, just in
43 case he wonders why he has a .cpan dir while he usually uses a system-wide
44 setting ;)
45
46 > Actually - that's not true. Any user under the current code can initiate
47 any
48 > g-cpan function, not just searches. And this has advantages, too - if you
49
50 > have configured box to allow members of the portage group to do userpriv
51 > emerges, then any user who is a member of groups:portage should be
52 allowed to
53 > use g-cpan as well (as they can in the last version of 0.13 I looked at).
55 > boot, a user can append to the overlay listing (I know I do on my local
56 boxes
57 > - mcummings has a huge list of overlay dirs compared to root has none)
58 via an
59 > environment variable. Plus...I'm drawing a blank on what would go in this
60
61 > config file right now. I can envision in >0.13 including some nifty
62 logging
63 > facilities (needed!), but beyond a few config vars related to that I
64 can't
65 > come up with anything that you'd want to config (throw me a line here :)
66 )
67
68 erhm, actually you are right, dunno why but i was sure the $< test was to
69 check if user was trying to search/list or do something more dangerous.
70 About the config file, it can be very very helpful. Even if it can be small
71 if limited to g-cpan (and small doesn't mean useless), we could combine
72 this with your bundling idea, and create a perl-tools conf file ;p Oh wait,
73 you said no more features for now ;)
74
75 > sweet :)
76
77 My pleasure ;)
78
79 > Bah, my code is child's play compared to regex-King's stuff ;)
80
81 The worst thing is that he won't admit it.. damned humility ;)
82
83 > Sniper had some other ideas, but i'll let him introduce them ;)
84 Isn't step one getting sniper on a gentoo box first ? ;) (j/k)
85
86 bah ;)
87 he will install one himself sooner or later, i hope ;p
88 I can provide him a shell on one of my box.. even root account anyway, but
89 this box is totally unstable (probably an hardware problem) and it hasn't
90 been updated since maybe one year. Even installing portage, which is not a
91 big app, crashes it.
92
93 Anyway it would be a start point to get him addicted ;)
96 cab
100 gentoo-perl@g.o mailing list