From: Torsten Veller <tove@g.o>
To: gentoo-perl@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-perl] Re: New perl module ebuilds to support www-apps/rt
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 10:20:35
* Nick Prater <nick@××××.com>:
> I've been working on updating www-apps/rt to the latest version 3.8.1, > which I now have running on my own system.
Fine.
> The new version introduces a number of new perl module dependencies, for > which there are no existing ebuilds: > > HTML::RewriteAttributes >= 0.02 > File::ShareDir > Data::ICal > depends on Text::vFile::asData > depends on Class::Accessor::Chains > > I have generated ebuilds for these five modules.
Good.
> There is also a dependency on Encode >= 2.13. > > Version 2.12 of Encode is distributed as part of dev-lang/perl, but > there is no specific ebuild for this. As a result I have generated > ebuilds as follows: > > virtual/perl-Encode-2.12 (the version that's part of dev-lang/perl) > virtual/perl-Encode-2.26 (the latest version on CPAN) > perl-core/Encode-2.26
I think this is fine too.
> I understand that general policy is not to add ebuilds for additional > perl modules, but as these are to support another ebuild's dependencies, > it would be acceptable to add these.
Not only acceptable but necessary ;)
> I plan to submit these ebuilds to bugzilla in the next day of so.
Go ahead. Another option: Try to get access to the perl-overlay (yuval or ian are the devs you have to ask to appove it). Put your ebuilds in there and ask us to move them to gentoo-x86.
> Before I do so, is there anything obviously wrong in what I'm doing, > particularly with regard to Encode? Is there any particular etiquette I > should be following to have these ebuilds introduced?
Looks fine. If the perl modules are needed they will be added to the tree, so you only have to write proper ebuilds.
> I'd be grateful for any advice, comments or criticism. If I don't hear > anything in the next few days, I'll file each of these as bugs on > bugzilla and stand well back! > > Many thanks,
Thanks to you.