From: Michael Cummings <mcummings@g.o>
To: gentoo-perl@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-perl] [RFC] Some thoughts on the next release of perl
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 21:50:34
1 On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 04:08:44PM +0200, Antoine Raillon wrote:
2 > >* Redoing the re-order @INC patch
3 > btw I see one question here, about g-cpan : I love this small tool but
4 > it puts modules to vendor (as they're added by portage), so de-reversing
5 > @INC in favor of site will probably push users to use CPAN/CPANPLUS
6 > directly instead of g-cpan. Is it a problem ?
7
8 easily fixed with some eclass magic (we should get after your mentor to show you
9 the ins and outs of the eclasses - and for those of you not sure, I'm cab's
10 mentor :)
11
12 > That would be quite nice, but won't it be a problem with modules
13 > requiring a specific version of libperl.so ? And if we also change
14 > modules directories to match perl version, some modules may disappear to
15 > the user's view while portage says they're here, isn't it ? I feel I'm
16 > missing something here ;)
17
18 well, what i was trying to suggest (but this goes back to fiddling with @inc
19 patch) is to create an agnostic vendor directory that is devoid of perl version
20 information so that it's always /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl for portage installed
21 modules - but this is said without actually see if it would work with a slotted
22 perl. Might make more headaches than it's worth (at which point, what's the
23 point in a slotted perl if you have to rebuild everything multiple times perl
24 perl).
27 > second point, is there a reason/policy in favor of a perl-config tool
28 > more than an eselect module ?
29
30 nope. me grok bash, no grokie grok eselect :)
33 > ++,
34 > cab
35 >
36 > --
37 > gentoo-perl@g.o mailing list
43 Michael Cummings | #gentoo-dev, #gentoo-perl
44 Gentoo Perl Dev | on irc.freenode.net
45 Gentoo/SPARC
46 Gentoo/AMD64
47 GPG: 0543 6FA3 5F82 3A76 3BF7 8323 AB5C ED4E 9E7F 4E2E
49
50 Hi, I'm a .signature virus! Please copy me in your ~/.signature.