From: Michael Cummings <mcummings@g.o>
To: gentoo-perl@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-perl] Collision Protects
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 23:11:32
Yuval Yaari wrote:
> > Isn't there a more elegant way than preventing pod being converted to > man pages? > I personally don't `man` my modules, so I won't suffer from it, but > maybe someone out there does? (otherwise, why is pod2man even being > invoked?). > > Just my $.02... > > --Yuval
I'm open to suggestions on elegance - this was just the best I could come up with. The collision happens when a user installs a module that is also provided by the perl core. Since we toss everything into vendor (and then reverse the @inc so it wins the elections) the modules themselves never conflict - just the man3 pages. Personally, I've never man'd something I could perldoc (fwiw, this wouldn't affect the core perl docs, just those provided by add on ebuilds). As near as I can grok, pod2man is automatically invoked if INSTALLMAN3DIRS has a value - except you can't unset it in the perl install, or it will install of the perl core docs to / (believe you me, that was fun)(unless it was before I had the amazing ='none' syntax down right...in which case we might be able to avoid all of the man3 jazz). Some other thoughts on the subject were to find a new, non man3 home for these man pages (leaving the core man3 pages where they are), or...well, I had this thought about utilizing the ebuilds we have for upgrading core perl modules, but that was even more convoluted and painful in the long run (@10 minutes after you finished installing perl, the pain would begin). No worries, my fingers aren't even near a commit button :) (otherwise I wouldn't have posted it on here) ~mike -- gentoo-perl@g.o mailing list