From: Michael Cummings <mcummings@g.o>
To: gentoo-perl@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-perl] CPAN ebuild moans and groans
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:11:13
Hey there Beu,
> 1) Who is it that made some CPAN builds lowercase (module-build, > not Module-Build, net-server not Net-Server)? Bad idea. It would > be easier (for my system, at least) to leave the names in the > CPAN form.
At one point, the power that was wanted all gentoo ebuilds to be lower case. for a few months or so, dev-perl wasn't granted its 'grandfather' clause in this regard, hence why there are a few lowercase modules (not counting the ones that are legitimately lower case, like dev-perl/version). the hassle involved in moving an ebuild has warranted fixing the ones like module-build tbh.
> 2) Lots of trouble with modules that indicate major versions > with 2 digits and minor revisions with four; Module-Build > for example: > ... > Module-Build-0.26 > Module-Build-0.2610 > Module-Build-0.2611 > Module-Build-0.27 > ...
Blame portage, not us. For a while there at least (pretty sure its still the case, but who wants to find out the bad way?), portage would get confused by the length of the strings in re: the version numbers. Then you have modules with _'s and -'s in the middle and it all goes to pot.
> I bypassed this problem by making my ebuild file names as > follows: > Foo-Bar-1137143770.0.2611.ebuild > where 1137143770 is the 'epoch second' date of the tarball. > I can then be sure the order is correct and put code > in all ebuilds to get rid of the date-seconds: > MY_PV=${PV:11} and so on. >
ick
> 3) I pull my tarballs from my local mirror. I am using my > apache server to do this via SRC_URI="http://localhost/..." > But sometimes the request goes to my defined gentoo mirror > anyway. Why?
because you don't have nomirror in your ebuilds most likely. src_uri is used when the mirrors don't have something (or when the mirror is doing the nightly fetches)
> 4) How about adding file:/// and rsync:// support for > SRC_URI?
not a portage feature, you'd need to court the portage folks on that one. hope this helps - tree's a bit large and around for years, and what with me mucking in for 3+ of those years, a lot of things that were required and/or a good idea at the time we're just plain ol' stuck with now