From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-pms] Describing USE=test in PMS?
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 19:19:37
Hello,

As we all know, USE=test is a little special, being switched by Portage
FEATURES=test (and probably other PMs as well). Considering the fact
that it is used widely, I think we should consider describing it in PMS
or someplace else.

The exact rationale for this discussion is Johan's attempt of using
USE=test to decide what is installed with a package:

<jbergstroem> if tests would be installed through USE=test (should they
be a part of package?) we'd need to start setting other depends
( DEPEND=test? ( dev-python/subvertpy[test] ) )

Honestly, I'm not sure if this is really supposed to work. I personally
wouldn't risk using it. I suppose it could even start raising mayhem and
hurting puppies. But if we consider this just by looking at PMS, it is
absolutely fine.

Moreover, due to PMS USE=test would be just another USEflag, and
src_test() could be run with or without it. If we even aren't going to
describe USE=test thoroughly there, I think we should mention that
src_test() can be run only with USE=test set or something like that.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny