From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: tetromino@g.o, Gentoo PMS <gentoo-pms@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-pms] Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: deprecate /usr/share/doc/$PF
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 22:01:38
1 I basically agree, it's quite a great idea. Just a few comments though.
2
3 On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 16:49:38 -0500
4 Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetromino@g.o> wrote:
5
6 > * The package's documentation may be designed primarily for tools and
7 > viewers which expect to load documentation files from a different
8 > location.
9
10 That's why I, for instance, use gtk-doc in my libraries. It's just that
11 it has its standard install procedures and locations.
12
13 > 1. If a package's documentation is designed to be accessed by a
14 > specific documentation viewer tool, then the package should install
15 > the documentation in a location where that tool will look for it (e.g.
16 > devhelp expects to find GNOME API documentation in
17 > /usr/share/gtk-doc/html, and khelpcenter expects to find KDE handbooks
18 > in /usr/share/doc/HTML). This already happens in practice, but some
19 > devs had expressed opposition to this (e.g. bug #312363) because it
20 > had not been formalized as policy.
21
22 Agree. But that's outside of the GLEP/PMS scope; just an internal policy
23 should fine, I think.
24
25 > 2. In EAPI-5 and higher, other documentation should be installed under
26 > /usr/share/doc:
27 > a. if SLOT = "0": in /usr/share/doc/$CATEGORY/$PN by default, xor
28 > (at the package maintainer's discretion) in
29 > /usr/share/doc/$CATEGORY/$PN-0.
30
31 I'd rather not see that -0 there.
32
33 > b. if SLOT != "0": in /usr/share/doc/$CATEGORY/$PN-$SLOT.
34
35 [...]
36
37 > Q3: Why $PN-$SLOT instead of $PN:$SLOT?
38 > A3: So that the directory names are compatible with bash's
39 > tab-completion.
40
41 What if 'foo' has slot named 'bar', and there is unslotted 'foo-bar'
42 package? :P
43
44 > Q5: Then why allow package maintainers to alternatively use
45 > $CATEGORY/$PN-0? A5: Why not? It will not hurt anything, will not
46 > cause file collisions, and some maintainers of a multislotted
47 > package, one of which is 0, might prefer to install that slot's docs
48 > in $CATEGORY/$PN-0 to prevent a potential impression that docs in
49 > $CATEGORY/$PN apply to all of that package's slots.
50
51 This will make the policy less clear, and documentation locations more
52 enigmatic for users. While at this, I think we should somehow move
53 the docs for all EAPIs to avoid this, and probably move installed ones
54 as well.
55
56 > Q6: Why can't the dodoc/dohtml path be changed before EAPI-5?
57 > A6: Because the path where dodoc and dohtml install files is part of
58 > the PMS. Portage can't just change it on its own. A possible
59 > workaround for current EAPIs is adding new-style dodoc/dohtml
60 > analogues to an eclass.
61
62 I think some of devs agree we should be allowed to fix past mistakes
63 without waiting another 20 years till the tree is migrated to a new
64 EAPI...
67 Best regards,
68 Michał Górny