From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Cc: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>, Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>, gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] kdebuild-1 conditionals
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 22:07:05
1 On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 22:50:48 +0100
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3 > >>>>> On Fri, 11 Dec 2009, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 >
5 > > I need it there for as long as there is support for it in Paludis,
6 > > which is two major releases away if we do this the responsible way
7 >
8 > So keep an old version of it around for your own personal use. Where's
9 > the problem with this?
10
11 There are better mechanisms available, and they have zero cost since
12 they've already been implemented.
13
14 > > What's wrong with leaving something that's already there in place
15 > > for a while longer?
16 >
17 > It makes the LaTeX source almost unreadable in some places, and
18 > therefore makes working with it more difficult.
19
20 Then ask the Council for permission to turn it on unconditionally.
21
22 Having said that, the people who have done the majority of the most
23 recent changes haven't had any particular difficulty with the
24 conditionals.
25
26 > And please specify what timeframe you mean by "a while". Weeks,
27 > months, years?
28
29 Two major releases is almost certainly less than six months. Or, if
30 you prefer, I can guarantee that the removal warning will be in a
31 release that will come out no later than a week after EAPI 4 goes live,
32 and that the removal can go ahead three months after that.
35 Ciaran McCreesh