From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Merging from $D
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2020 16:50:24
1 On 4/6/20 12:38 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 >
3 > I suppose you mean saying like 'from ED to EROOT'? To be honest,
4 > I don't see a big deal given that 1) it just works as-is because prefix
5 > is consistent, 2) ED/EROOT are just convenience variables.
8 Yeah, it arose as a question from a proxy maintainer who asked me where
9 things get merged from. In attempting to cite the PMS, I found that most
10 of the documentation for things like doins() says that things will be
11 installed to ED, and "emake ... install" implicitly installs to ED if
12 the autotools prefix is supported. But then the section on merging
13 mentions D instead of ED.
14
15 This is maybe not too confusing if you know what it means, but the guy
16 is already dealing with a handwritten Makefile and having to figure out
17 how to trick it into doing the right thing w.r.t. D/ED everywhere.