From: Andrew D Kirch <trelane@×××××××.net>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
Cc: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>, gentoo-pms@l.g.o, council@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Mismatch between tree and PMS
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 15:32:47
Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 17:21:43 +0200 > Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote: > >> Ciaran McCreesh wrote: >> >>> On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 16:28:44 +0200 >>> Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote: >>> >>>> [ fix PMS to demand bash 3.2 instead of 3.0 ] >>>> >> In short you are asking to put this item for the next council meeting. >> > > No, I'd like to see a discussion on gentoo-dev@ started by someone who > thinks we should make the change, where that person explains fully both > sides of the decision without resorting to FUD or comments like > "warblgarbl". Once that discussion has taken place, and any new > viewpoints have been discussed, *then* I'd like to see the matter go to > the Council. > > I don't think we should be asking for comments on changes until after > the developer-base at large has had a chance to discuss the issue. This > isn't a simple "there are advantages and no disadvantages" issue, which > is largely why it's been avoided until now. > >
Ciaran We agree on very little, but one thing we do agree on is the quantity of trolling that DOES occur on -dev when these issues are brought up. Is there any method by which a discussion can be had on -PMS in a smaller forum, and a proposal could thereby be brought to -dev in several weeks agreed upon here, and subsequently submitted to the Council? I'm hoping this will reduce the potential for trolling. Andrew