From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] (Minimal) standarization of the 'sets' feature
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 13:51:15
1 On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 15:42:38 +0200
2 Michał Górny <gentoo@××××××××××.pl> wrote:
3 > First of all, I would like to notice I'm not trying to force moving
4 > Portage-specific features to PMS. I'm just trying to get some
5 > standarization on one of these features to make it possible for devs
6 > to use it in gx86 without commiting non-standard files.
7
8 This has to be done via a GLEP rather than going straight into PMS.
9
10 > The particular feature I'm talking about is defining repository-wide
11 > package sets. Currently, this is done through a Portage-specific
12 > 'sets.conf' file in the repository's root directory. Although such
13 > file could be considered acceptable for an overlay, I wouldn't like
14 > to see such a non-standard file commited to gx86.
15
16 The problem with the way Portage does it is that it lets sets be
17 specified that run arbitrary code using Portage internals, including
18 code using internals that aren't stable between Portage releases. You'll
19 need to come up with a new design that doesn't have any of that
20 nonsense, and then get Portage to implement it.
21
22 > In fact, the specification doesn't really even need to push the 'sets'
23 > into atom specifications -- as I guess we would rather keep away from
24 > using them in dependencies, and PM could be free to use any syntax to
25 > reference them.
26
27 As soon as you introduce them, people will want to use sets in
28 profiles/ files.
31 Ciaran McCreesh