From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Fill column
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 09:50:45
1 2010/1/17 Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>:
2 >> Oh heck no. There's no excuse for using 70 or 80 columns for source
3 >> code any more. My old laptop can fit 100 across the screen
4 >> comfortably, which is much cleaner to work with.
5 >
6 >  We don't talk about source code but continous text even if having some
7 > mark-up around.  And best readability for such text is around 60
8 > characters per line, languages with long words may have more.
9
10 And the *generated* text is wrapped that way, or however else we want
11 it to be. We're discussing the source code, however, which is a whole
12 other thing, and none of your readability studies for printed texts
13 are relevant for it.
14
15 >> This bikeshed does not need repainting bright pink with orange spots.
16 >
17 >  And you don't want us to argue about the colour, right?
18
19 I don't want you to go and break 'git blame' etc and screw around with
20 something that doesn't need changing, yes. The not-quite-arbitrary
21 decision of "what fits on my laptop screen" that was originally made
22 is equally as good as or better than any alternative.
25 Ciaran McCreesh