From: Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Patches for your reviewing pleasure: Various improvements, including cheat sheet
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 15:27:46
Hi,

Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>:
[chapters subdir]
> Well, it's really an all or nothing thing. And all's going to be a > pain until we're sure we aren't going to have to go back and edit the > history.
We can wait with it.
> > 0001: Desk reference, updated and all issues you raised handled. > > You're indenting with two spaces rather than four, and don't have our > precious vim modelines. Lack of consistency makes me cry!
Then go change the other files, and if Vim is too dumb to recognise a LaTeX file, I can't help it.
> > + from the same checkout as this overview. > > has trailing whitespace. Git moans about this.
Fixed.
> > + Please report mistakes or enhancements to this document via the > > should read "mistakes in or enhancements to" > > > +Currently there is no full specification what EAPI 0 includes. > > +Portage, official ebuild documentation and existing ebuilds set the > > +standard here, although obvious errors are still errors. > > I'm wondering whether we can tone this (and the similar wording in > PMS) down a bit. The Council approved PMS as "correct, except where > people file bugs" a while back. > > > + disabled explicitely by user configuration) with a \code{+} sign > > in > > Spelling of 'explicitly'. > > > +\item[Named slot dependencies] Dependencies can explicitely > > request a > > Ditto. > > > +\item[\code{SRC\_URI} arrows] Allows redirection of upstream file > > + naming scheme by using an "arrow" (\code{->}) to a new file name > > in > > + DISTDIR. See \featureref{src-uri-arrows}. > > Not sure on this wording. How about something like: > > SRC_URI="http://some/url -> foo" can be used to use foo as the > filename for downloads. > > > +\item[USE dependencies] Dependencies can be specified to be built > > with > > + or without a specific USE flag, thus getting rid of countless > > + \code{built\_with\_use} checks. A more sophisticated syntax is > > + available in EAPI 3. > > Dependencies can specify use flag requirements on their target, > removing the need for built_with_use checks. A more powerful > syntax that does not require the flag to be in IUSE is in EAPI 3. > > > + Patching and other preparing tasks must no longer take place in > > + \code{src\_unpack} but in \code{src\_prepare}. > > Patching and similar preparation must now be done in src_prepare, > not src_unpack. > > > + be called via \code{default\_\emph{phasename}}, so small > > additions > > + you need will not be accompanied by a complete reimplementation > > of > > + the phase. Additionally as a shorthand for the current phase's > > + default definition \code{default} can be invoked. > > so duplicating the standard implementation is no longer necessary. > The default function calls the current phase's default_ function > automatically. > > > + Duplicating checks from the \code{pkg\_setup} phase may be > > + necessary. > > Most checks should usually be repeated in pkg_setup. > > > + phase can be called even for non-installed packages. Do not > > depend > > + on any outside programs in that case! See \featureref{pkg-info}. > > Be warned that dependencies might not have been installed. > > > +\item[Slot operators] There are two ways to define a wanted slot > > in a > > + dependency string: > > Dependencies that are both DEPEND and RDEPEND and that can match > multiple slots should specify one of: > > > +\item[USE dependency defaults] Additionally to the features > > offered in > > In addition to the ... > > > + after a USE flag (mind the braces). > > Braces are {}. You want brackets or parentheses. > > > The former leads to the > > + assumption that the USE flag is available when not found in the > > + dependency, the latter leads to the reverse behaviour. This > > mimicks > > + parts of the behaviour of \code{-{}-missing} in > > The former specifies that flags not in IUSE should be treated as > enabled; the latter, disabled. Cannot be used with USE_EXPAND > flags. > > > + \code{/usr/share\{doc,info,man\}} are compressed on-disk after > > s/are/may be > > > + With \code{docompress} all arguments are passed to the inclusion > > + list, while the behaviour can be inverted with the \code{-x} > > + switch. See \featureref{controllable-compress}. > > docompress path ... adds paths to the inclusion list for > compression. docompress -x path ... adds paths to the exclusion > list. > > > + files respectively in the known manner. > > "in the known manner" sounds weird. > > > + command given as argument will not abort the build process in > > case > > + of a failure but preserve the exit status nonetheless. See > > I'd mention that commands die on error before this. And then: > > will return non-zero on failure rather than aborting the build. > > > +\item[USE flags in any-of] Inside of \code{||} constructs USE flag > > + conditionals are forbidden (with exceptions). > > use? ( ) blocks are forbidden as direct children of || ( ) blocks. > > > + anymore. > > 'anymore' as a single word is generally considered horrible.
Adressed I hope. Last iteration, what you don't find now, will go in later. And more patches: 0001: Corrected desk reference. 0002: Tell Emacs to use retarded indenting in all LaTeX files, so the Vim weenies don't whine. 0003: Fix intendation to 4 spaces where needed. 0004: Comment class file 0005: Kick out appendix.sty and a little appendix tweak 0006: Some minor Makefile tweaking 0007: Make email addresses clickable And for inital review: 0008: Add Gentoo logo to PMS and desk reference. V-Li -- Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project <URL:http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode <URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>

0001-Desk-reference-for-quick-look-up.patch text/x-patch
0002-Expand-Emacs-local-variables.patch text/x-patch
0003-Change-intendation-to-4-spaces.patch text/x-patch
0004-Comment-class-file-a-bit-more-for-beginner.patch text/x-patch
0005-Remove-appendix.sty.patch text/x-patch
0006-Tweak-Makefile-with-additional-dependency-on-targets.patch text/x-patch
0007-Make-email-addresses-clickable.patch text/x-patch
0008-Add-Gentoo-logo-to-desk-reference-and-titlepage-of-P.patch text/x-patch