From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Small cleanup of ebuild-functions.tex
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 17:02:18
1 On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 18:52:25 +0200
2 Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
3 > > That language really should be in even if kdebuild is turned off,
4 > > especially if we're explicitly stating that src_test is optional.
5 >
6 > Needs to have FEATURES defined first, otherwise we'll be defining a
7 > specific configuration in abstract generalities.
8
9 We use language like "at user option", without indicating what that
10 user option is.
11
12 > > I suggest you stop trying to push a political agenda when doing so
13 > > just makes life harder for the people who have to use PMS.
14 >
15 > Uhm what. I thought we had all found an agreement yesterday that
16 > having kdebuild in PMS was a bad thing. If you keep changing your
17 > opinion every day there's no way to have a reasonable discussion.
18
19 Please point me to where I (who am part of 'all') agreed that.
20
21 > > Actually, there was a perfectly clean way of doing it, and Zac even
22 > > agreed to do it that way before he went and implemented it
23 > > unconditionally. The change was supposed to be going through as
24 > > part of EAPI 2.
25 > Nah, that makes a huge stinky if you try to upgrade an EAPI0 package
26 > with an EAPI2 package or vice versa. Then you end up with a dozen
27 > potential ways of doing it, choose one randomly and hope that was a
28 > sane decision.
29 >
30 > Having a consistent phase order is the only way to keep things
31 > predictable ...
32
33 The way that was chosen resulted in things being broken and a mad
34 scramble to fix things. There are at least two ways of doing it in an
35 entirely well defined manner that wouldn't have involved changing any
36 existing packages.
37
38 > > That's not how the system works. We're supposed to be documenting
39 > > what ebuilds may rely upon from compliant package managers. Since
40 > > there are compliant package managers that use both behaviours, the
41 > > documentation's supposed to reflect that.
42 > Hrm. All versions of all officially supported package managers I can
43 > see use the "newer" behaviour. So the "old" behaviour might be
44 > interesting for historical reasons, but anything currently in use is
45 > forced to rely on the "new" behaviour.
46
47 That's not how the system works. We don't pretend old behaviour never
48 existed.
49
50 > > > Feel free to document historic behaviour if you want, but as PMS
51 > > > hasn't documented it before I'd put it in the errata section.
52 > > Doesn't PMS currently document the old way of doing it, not the new
53 > > way?
54 > See, that's what happens when you don't document what is actually
55 > happening.
56
57 No, it's what happens when you document what happens and then someone
58 goes and changes things to directly violate the specification.
59
60 > Either way there's a lot that needs to be done until PMS deserves the
61 > S in its name, but it's not hopeless. At least we're noticing the
62 > things it doesn't document or doesn't document correctly quite nicely.
63
64 Please provide examples of standards that have been retroactively
65 modified after publication to deal with implementations changing
66 behaviour.
69 Ciaran McCreesh