From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] *.tar.lzma is not mentioned
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 18:09:50
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 23:33:33 +0200
Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
> PMS doesn't mention lzma-compressed tar files, but Portage (and also > Paludis, as far as I can see) can unpack them. > > And I think calling simple *.lzma and *.xz files "archives" is > misleading. They are just single compressed files like *.gz or *.bz2. > Patch is attached.
Applied, thanks (I tweaked the indenting slightly).
> We could also think about reordering the list of extensions. Currently > it's not very systematic.
Right. I think the order's how things used to be in Portage back when we made the list. It'd probably look nicer as a table, something like: Extension EAPIs Must have installed 1 2 3 .tar.gz y y y GNU tar, GNU gzip .tar.lzma y LZMA Utils That's an 'easy' exercise for someone who feels like being helpful... Incidentally, one of the things I was hoping to get in for EAPI 4 was a fix for the arbitrary and weird dependencies required for unpacking. I think we briefly discussed doing something like making the package manager have 'magic' packages, so you'd do: DEPEND="package-manager-magic/unpack-zip" to tell the package manager to depend upon whatever it really uses to unzip things. I don't recall whether this was feasible from a Portage perspective though. -- Ciaran McCreesh