From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Fill column
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 14:26:42
1 2010/1/17 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>:
2 >>>>>> On Sun, 17 Jan 2010, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 >> Oh heck no. There's no excuse for using 70 or 80 columns for source
4 >> code any more. My old laptop can fit 100 across the screen
5 >> comfortably, which is much cleaner to work with.
6 >
7 > Some people use several windows side by side, and the natural width of
8 > these windows is 80 columns because almost all code adheres to it.
9
10 Almost all code does not adhere to it. 80 columns is a harmful legacy
11 that needs to be abandoned now that we are no longer limited by 1970s
12 terminals.
13
14 > And we are talking about LaTeX source code that is mostly human
15 > readable language. Readability suffers if lines have more than 60 or
16 > 70 characters.
17
18 Except that we're using fixed width fonts and reading non-hyphenated
19 source code, and we are reading it on a screen, not in print.
22 Ciaran McCreesh