From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Clarify wording on self-blockers
Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 13:12:35
1 On Mon, 2 May 2011 14:34:11 +0200
2 Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > And wrt blocks it would still work. It's not like clarifying
4 > self-mutual blocks semantics would magically alter behaviour with
5 > regards to how the package is merged. It may only have consequences
6 > on package set level, not ebuild level.
7
8 You can't split the two concepts up. Whether or not a package builds is
9 affected by what is or isn't installed.
10
11 > But then again, IIRC Paludis still doesn't perform auto- unmerging of
12 > not referenced soft-blocked packages and it's being extensively used
13 > in gentoo-x86 tree and I see nobody screaming... (this may have
14 > changed however, my point is invalid if that's the case)
15
16 Paludis won't uninstall things without explicit permission. It will,
17 however, tell the user that something is blocked, and give the user the
18 option of saying "yes, uninstall that". This is deliberate, to avoid
19 the situations we've had with Portage uninstalling bash.
20
21 Also note that Paludis treats pre-EAPI 2 ! blocks as being strong, not
22 weak. Again, deliberate, because that's what authors of pre-EAPI 2
23 ebuilds originally intended.
24
25 > The problem is that person most interested in participating in such
26 > discussion, the one solely responsible for reference and supported
27 > package manager implementation (for Gentoo) is Zac, but he's not
28 > interested in (or doesn't have time for) bickering with Ciaran (who
29 > apparently does have time) and I don't blame him at all frankly (I
30 > don't blame Ciaran either, he could just try to avoid stating his
31 > opinion on how broken Portage is on every single occasion he has like
32 > anyone even cared.. and send patches instead).
33
34 What I have time for is making sure we get this right at the
35 specification level. Mistakes in the specification cost a lot more in
36 the long term than careful consideration of consequences does in the
37 short term. The last time blockers were changed without careful
38 thought, lots of things broke horribly, and we're still hitting obscure
39 breakages years later.
40
41 As for sending patches, you said it yourself:
42
43 > Well, just look at portage - only few are brave enough to
44 > touch it and even fewer know how it really works.
45
46 So I've done something better: I've made an alternative that doesn't
47 have those problems.
48
49 > Anyway Ciaran diverged discussion to what's the purpose of EAPI and
50 > what's not. Not sure what's the time line for "in the old days
51 > Portage treated all blockers as being a bit like what strong blockers
52 > are now" is
53
54 It's after EAPI 0, thus, we control changes to it using EAPIs. Simple!
55
56 Again, getting this right *matters*. Regarding the original bug that
57 brought our attention to this, I believe the first part of the problem
58 there is that some cron packages are using pre-2 EAPIs, which means
59 their ! blockers are treated by recent Portage versions as weak (and
60 old Portage versions as strong) but by Paludis as strong.
63 Ciaran McCreesh