From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Clarifications on dosym behaviour
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 19:23:25
1 >>>>> On Fri, 27 Jan 2012, Ralph Sennhauser wrote:
2
3 > Just recently Portage started to emit "* QA Notice: dosym target
4 > omits basename ..." for "dosym /path_to_file/file /some_other_path/"
5
6 > The PMS says:
7
8 > dosym: Creates a symbolic link named as for its second parameter,
9 > pointing to the first. If the directory containing the new link does
10 > not exist, creates it. Failure behaviour is EAPI dependent as per
11 > section 12.3.3.1.
12
13 > The part "Creates a symbolic link named as for its second parameter"
14 > could qualify it for requiring a basename.
15
16 Exactly.
17
18 > As the behaviour of an implicit basename of the second parameter was
19 > used for a long time I wonder if the PMS needs to be updated and
20 > clarify the dosym behaviour or if this new QA warning can be seen as
21 > a long overdue implementation of the intended behaviour.
22
23 This has been discussed in bug 379899 and the conclusion was that PMS
24 specifies the intended behaviour.
25
26 At the moment a directory argument produces only a QA warning in
27 Portage. I think the long-term plan is to turn it into an error
28 though.