From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
Cc: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>, gentoo-pms@l.g.o, gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] kdebuild-1 conditionales
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 18:14:57
> I shall remind you, the Council-approved process for PMS changes is > to send them to this list, and if unanimous agreement can't be > reached, then to escalate the issue to the Council.
> [...]
> Sorry, but the Council-approved procedure is that patches get sent > to this list and don't get committed until there aren't objections. > We don't commit things until everyone's happy with them.
Can you provide a reference for the above please?
> * When did it become policy to use the newest EAPI for ebuilds? I > must've missed that becoming policy -- last I heard, policy was to > use the oldest EAPI that provides everything you need to write a > good ebuild.
I agree on this one.
> * Since PMS became 'suitable for use', we've never committed works > in progress to master. We've always used branches for EAPI > definitions that aren't complete, and we've never committed EAPIs > that haven't had their wording approved by the Council to master. > Why are we changing this policy? Where was this policy change > discussed?
It's not very helpful to generalise. Let's look at the details, namely Christian's commits instead: - "Change minimum required Bash version from 3.0 to 3.2" This is a patch prepared by tanderson, and fauli only fixed a technical problem (footnotes) with LaTeX. I happen to have a log of the discussion in #-dev. Also from your comments in bug 292646 I got the impression that you had no objections to the change?
> * Why is disabling kdebuild-1 by default helpful? Why not take the > reasonable steps already mentioned first, to ensure that the change > does not have adverse impact?
- "Disable kdebuild-1 by default" This just changes a binary flag from true to false, namely it disables inclusion of kdebuild in the output document. How can this change have any adverse impact? Ulrich