From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
Cc: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>, gentoo-pms@l.g.o, gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] kdebuild-1 conditionales
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 18:14:57
1 >>>>> On Fri, 11 Dec 2009, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 > I shall remind you, the Council-approved process for PMS changes is
4 > to send them to this list, and if unanimous agreement can't be
5 > reached, then to escalate the issue to the Council.
6
7 > [...]
8
9 > Sorry, but the Council-approved procedure is that patches get sent
10 > to this list and don't get committed until there aren't objections.
11 > We don't commit things until everyone's happy with them.
12
13 Can you provide a reference for the above please?
14
15 > * When did it become policy to use the newest EAPI for ebuilds? I
16 > must've missed that becoming policy -- last I heard, policy was to
17 > use the oldest EAPI that provides everything you need to write a
18 > good ebuild.
19
20 I agree on this one.
21
22 > * Since PMS became 'suitable for use', we've never committed works
23 > in progress to master. We've always used branches for EAPI
24 > definitions that aren't complete, and we've never committed EAPIs
25 > that haven't had their wording approved by the Council to master.
26 > Why are we changing this policy? Where was this policy change
27 > discussed?
28
29 It's not very helpful to generalise. Let's look at the details, namely
30 Christian's commits instead:
31
32 - "Change minimum required Bash version from 3.0 to 3.2"
33 This is a patch prepared by tanderson, and fauli only fixed a
34 technical problem (footnotes) with LaTeX. I happen to have a log of
35 the discussion in #-dev. Also from your comments in bug 292646 I
36 got the impression that you had no objections to the change?
37
38 > * Why is disabling kdebuild-1 by default helpful? Why not take the
39 > reasonable steps already mentioned first, to ensure that the change
40 > does not have adverse impact?
41
42 - "Disable kdebuild-1 by default"
43 This just changes a binary flag from true to false, namely it
44 disables inclusion of kdebuild in the output document. How can this
45 change have any adverse impact?
46
47 Ulrich