From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] apply_user_patches
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 18:16:42
> On Mon, 07 May 2012 12:19:40 -0400 > Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
>> > After all, this functionality is just a stop-gap measure for users >> > to apply quick bug fixes, so I don't expect that it will be used >> > very often. Even fewer cases will require that eautoreconf is >> > called. Do we really want to force developers to put this function >> > call into every ebuild? That would be out of proportion, IMHO. >> >> Only the ebuilds that override src_prepare (which is a lot).
> The reason for src_prepare() was to simplify ebuilds (so they don't > have to override whole src_unpack()). Requiring a specific line in > every src_prepare() call means going the other way.
+1 Also, if we add the feature to EAPI 5, we won't get anything close to 100% coverage for a very long time. (Looking at usage statistics, EAPI 2 was introduced almost 4 years ago, and about 30% of the tree are still at EAPI 0 or 1.) Couldn't the PM call a user-supplied script (which would be a file with a special name placed in the same directory) after applying the user patches? Since this script could do any postprocessing required, applying user patches could be postponed until after src_prepare. Ulrich