From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Patches for your reviewing pleasure: Various improvements, including cheat sheet
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 14:47:08
On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 15:55:43 +0200
Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o> wrote:
> > I agree with you on the principle, but not on the numbers. It's not > > worth using subdirectories until 'ls' output won't fit on one > > screen. > > Having actually done the change, does make the thing look really > good. After a make run all the .log, .aux and whatever files are also > around.
Well, it's really an all or nothing thing. And all's going to be a pain until we're sure we aren't going to have to go back and edit the history.
> 0001: Desk reference, updated and all issues you raised handled.
You're indenting with two spaces rather than four, and don't have our precious vim modelines. Lack of consistency makes me cry!
> + from the same checkout as this overview.
has trailing whitespace. Git moans about this.
> + Please report mistakes or enhancements to this document via the
should read "mistakes in or enhancements to"
> +Currently there is no full specification what EAPI 0 includes. > +Portage, official ebuild documentation and existing ebuilds set the > +standard here, although obvious errors are still errors.
I'm wondering whether we can tone this (and the similar wording in PMS) down a bit. The Council approved PMS as "correct, except where people file bugs" a while back.
> + disabled explicitely by user configuration) with a \code{+} sign in
Spelling of 'explicitly'.
> +\item[Named slot dependencies] Dependencies can explicitely request a
Ditto.
Not sure on this wording. How about something like: SRC_URI="http://some/url -> foo" can be used to use foo as the filename for downloads.
> +\item[USE dependencies] Dependencies can be specified to be built with > + or without a specific USE flag, thus getting rid of countless > + \code{built\_with\_use} checks. A more sophisticated syntax is > + available in EAPI 3.
Dependencies can specify use flag requirements on their target, removing the need for built_with_use checks. A more powerful syntax that does not require the flag to be in IUSE is in EAPI 3.
> + Patching and other preparing tasks must no longer take place in > + \code{src\_unpack} but in \code{src\_prepare}.
Patching and similar preparation must now be done in src_prepare, not src_unpack.
> + be called via \code{default\_\emph{phasename}}, so small additions > + you need will not be accompanied by a complete reimplementation of > + the phase. Additionally as a shorthand for the current phase's > + default definition \code{default} can be invoked.
so duplicating the standard implementation is no longer necessary. The default function calls the current phase's default_ function automatically.
> + Duplicating checks from the \code{pkg\_setup} phase may be > + necessary.
Most checks should usually be repeated in pkg_setup.
> + phase can be called even for non-installed packages. Do not depend > + on any outside programs in that case! See \featureref{pkg-info}.
Be warned that dependencies might not have been installed.
> +\item[Slot operators] There are two ways to define a wanted slot in a > + dependency string:
Dependencies that are both DEPEND and RDEPEND and that can match multiple slots should specify one of:
> +\item[USE dependency defaults] Additionally to the features offered in
In addition to the ...
> + after a USE flag (mind the braces).
Braces are {}. You want brackets or parentheses.
> The former leads to the > + assumption that the USE flag is available when not found in the > + dependency, the latter leads to the reverse behaviour. This mimicks > + parts of the behaviour of \code{-{}-missing} in
The former specifies that flags not in IUSE should be treated as enabled; the latter, disabled. Cannot be used with USE_EXPAND flags.
> + \code{/usr/share\{doc,info,man\}} are compressed on-disk after
s/are/may be
> + With \code{docompress} all arguments are passed to the inclusion > + list, while the behaviour can be inverted with the \code{-x} > + switch. See \featureref{controllable-compress}.
docompress path ... adds paths to the inclusion list for compression. docompress -x path ... adds paths to the exclusion list.
> + files respectively in the known manner.
"in the known manner" sounds weird.
> + command given as argument will not abort the build process in case > + of a failure but preserve the exit status nonetheless. See
I'd mention that commands die on error before this. And then: will return non-zero on failure rather than aborting the build.
> +\item[USE flags in any-of] Inside of \code{||} constructs USE flag > + conditionals are forbidden (with exceptions).
use? ( ) blocks are forbidden as direct children of || ( ) blocks.
> + anymore.
'anymore' as a single word is generally considered horrible.
> 0002: Some Makefile tweaking (really minor).
OK, but won't apply easily without 0001, and I'm lazy.
> 0003: Use plainurl.bst from the system.
Applied, thanks.
> 0004: Some proper using of the description environment.
Applied, thanks. -- Ciaran McCreesh