From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] EAPI specification in ebuilds
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 16:31:29
1 On 04/11/2012 01:04 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Wed, 11 Apr 2012, David Leverton wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 10 April 2012 22:41, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> If the EAPI is to be specified, it must be assigned to precisely once.
6 >>> The assignment must occur within the first 20 lines of the ebuild, must
7 >>> not be preceded by any lines other than blank lines or those that start
8 >>> with optional whitespace followed by a # character, and the assignment
9 >>> statement must match the following regular expression:
10 >
11 >> Do we still need the 20 line limit if we're doing it this way?
12 >
13 > I see no advantage in keeping the 20 line limit.
14
15 Yeah, it makes the 20 line limit redundant, and the only purpose of the
16 20 line limit was to support existing ebuilds in the wild.
17
18 Since the EAPI parsing behavior is optional for older EAPIs, package
19 managers can simply trigger a warning when they detect non-conformant
20 ebuilds in the wild, and eventually make it fatal after the community
21 has had sufficient warning.
22 --
23 Thanks,
24 Zac