From: Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Fill column
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 10:01:08
1 Hi,
2
3 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>:
4 > 2010/1/17 Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>:
5 > >> Oh heck no. There's no excuse for using 70 or 80 columns for source
6 > >> code any more. My old laptop can fit 100 across the screen
7 > >> comfortably, which is much cleaner to work with.
8 > >
9 > >  We don't talk about source code but continous text even if having
10 > > some mark-up around.  And best readability for such text is around
11 > > 60 characters per line, languages with long words may have more.
12 >
13 > And the *generated* text is wrapped that way, or however else we want
14 > it to be. We're discussing the source code, however, which is a whole
15 > other thing, and none of your readability studies for printed texts
16 > are relevant for it.
17
18 But usually I read diffs on the screen and seldomly read PMS in
19 formatted text, so not my readability studies but scientific facts
20 apply here as well.
21
22 > I don't want you to go and break 'git blame' etc and screw around with
23 > something that doesn't need changing, yes. The not-quite-arbitrary
24 > decision of "what fits on my laptop screen" that was originally made
25 > is equally as good as or better than any alternative.
26
27 git blame is an argument, right. The line wrapping goes on my nerve
28 for quite some time but I postponed any complaints until some real work
29 is done.
30
31 V-Li
35 Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project
36 <URL:http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode
37
38 <URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>