From: Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Fill column
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 10:01:08
Hi,

Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>:
> 2010/1/17 Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>: > >> Oh heck no. There's no excuse for using 70 or 80 columns for source > >> code any more. My old laptop can fit 100 across the screen > >> comfortably, which is much cleaner to work with. > > > >  We don't talk about source code but continous text even if having > > some mark-up around.  And best readability for such text is around > > 60 characters per line, languages with long words may have more. > > And the *generated* text is wrapped that way, or however else we want > it to be. We're discussing the source code, however, which is a whole > other thing, and none of your readability studies for printed texts > are relevant for it.
But usually I read diffs on the screen and seldomly read PMS in formatted text, so not my readability studies but scientific facts apply here as well.
> I don't want you to go and break 'git blame' etc and screw around with > something that doesn't need changing, yes. The not-quite-arbitrary > decision of "what fits on my laptop screen" that was originally made > is equally as good as or better than any alternative.
git blame is an argument, right. The line wrapping goes on my nerve for quite some time but I postponed any complaints until some real work is done. V-Li -- Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project <URL:http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode <URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>