From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Regarding packages.provided
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 12:29:53
1 On Thursday 02 June 2005 17:16, Chakkaradeep C C wrote:
2 > A Package Manager must keep all the packages in it's database regardless if
3 > it was installed by the package manager or not. But i dont think this has
4 > been implemented yet.
5
6 Name one package manager that does this.
7
8 > In portage we have the option of making binaries using "quickpkg" command,
9 > this is done after installing and it searches it's database (hope so am
10 > correct) for the files which depends on the package and creates a "tar.bz2"
11 > file.
12
13 It takes a list of files that was generated after compiling a package, finds
14 them on the filesystem and puts them into the .tbz2 format.
15
16 > now why cant we apply this technique to track whether the package is
17 > already installed in our system not through portage and inject into
18 > the database??........
19
20 Where to get this list of files from??........