From: Hanno Fietz <hanno.fietz@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] feature suggestions
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 09:08:15
1 Here's a suggestion for two portage features that I would appreciate.
2 Please tell me if this is the wrong list.
3
4 I would like to have a system where ebuilds are classified such that
5 when updating a package, I can tell whether this is a security patch or
6 critical bugfix or new feature release or whatever. Thus, I could set up
7 automatic updates that check only for critical patches and do not
8 install every tiny new fancy thing.
9
10 Also, a system would be nice, where authors of a package or the ebuild
11 maintainers could supply a message to the user along with the ebuild,
12 for example to warn them of massive numbers of reverse dependencies that
13 are going to be broken by the update (-> libexpat! I would have chosen a
14 different time for the update if I had known what I had to update after
15 that).
16
17 Best regards
18 Hanno