From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Moving ebuild-related where they belong
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 20:02:38
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Brian Harring wrote:
5 > Just so we're clear... if gentoo-x86 wants to define their own base
6 > template all ebuilds in that repo use, that's fine. That's a
7 > different beast from moving the format definition into the tree
8 > though.
9 >
10 > Kind of curious if either of you have thought through the implications
11 > of moving this functionality into the tree for the vdb and binpkgs
12 > also (short version, even with ebds env handling its not going to be
13 > pretty for backwards compatibility).
14
15 Since incompatible changes require an EAPI bump, backward compatibility is
16 automatically handled by EAPI.
17
18 >> Fine, but the EAPI can still be used to imply that some other functions may or
19 >> may not be available.
20 >
21 > Not really. Via moving parts of the format into gentoo-x86 it's
22 > implciitly setting it up such that whatever tree portage is working
23 > against now defines EAPI.
24 >
25 > Sounds whacky, but think it through; instead of trying to verify that
26 > 3 package managers are EAPI compliant, it's now dependant on the
27 > environment the tree defines, as such the tree can redefine the env
28 > without bumping the EAPI.
29 >
30 > Yes that's stupid to do, but moving the format into the tree enables
31 > it. Theres a reason no other package format has their actual format
32 > definitions (env setup in our case) shoved into the repo, and thats
33 > one of them.
34
35 Incompatible changes for a given EAPI specification are simply unacceptable.
36 People really should know better than that. If not, educate them.
37
38 >>> Actually, the reason they won't like it for will more likely be that it
39 >>> requires adding another eclass to the inherit line for ~15'000 ebuilds.
40 >> See, that statement shows me that you've missed my point that EAPI can be used
41 >> to imply which functions are implicitly available. It would be redundant to
42 >> inherit an eclass containing functions that are already implied by the EAPI.
43 >
44 > Would require 24,600 (last count) mods to ebuilds to specify an elib
45 > import moreso; automagically trying to import an elib out of a
46 > repository is pretty much guranteed to not behave as desired (overlays
47 > again come to mind).
48 >
49 > Eclasses are designed as crappy oop; what this change means for
50 > eclasses/elibs is that instead of reusing functionality, functionality
51 > gets copy/pasted across repositories- not a good thing.
52 >
53 > ~harring
54
55 We can design it to be overlay friendly. An overlay can be viewed as a child
56 derivation of a parent repo. The child inherits from the parent and can
57 override it.
58
59 Zac
67 --