From: R Hill <dirtyepic.sk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: confcache, final chance to ixnay it
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 02:07:51
1 (sorry if this double posts)
2
3 Brian Harring wrote:
4 > Yo...
5 >
6 > attached is a patch enabling confcache support for portage. Lots of
7 > testing, plus fixups from comments from folks prior.
8 >
9 > So... giving it a few days, nows the time to bitch if you dislike the
10 > implementation (and no, I'm not rewriting all of doebuild just for
11 > this :)
12
13 Well, i've been testing this on an x86 laptop and an x86_64 box over the
14 weekend. Good news is that when it works, it works well. Bad news is I've yet
15 to be able to get through an 'emerge -e world' without at least a dozen build
16 failures that resolve themselves when i clear the cache. The errors range
17 between unresolved symbols to 'platform does not support (null)' to compiler
18 cannot create C executables to a simple file not found, and everything in
19 between. they sometimes crop up during configure, sometimes during compile, and
20 sometimes during install. This seems to me like it would be a nightmare for
21 maintainers. There are apparently a lot of broken configures out there.
22
23 I'm also worried about the false positives/negatives it may be reporting to
24 packages that don't end up resulting in errors, but still change the final
25 product in weird and subtle ways.
26
27 --de.
30 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list