From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] The purpose of USE flags
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:23:15
1 On Tuesday 16 December 2003 22:36, Pieter Van den Abeele wrote:
2
3 > I would use 'knowledge base' instead of database, because it is a more
4 > generic term. A ports directory is not really a database as we know it
5 > (think SQL etc.). One of the benefits of formulating the core in
6 > prolog, would be to use a 'datalog' syntax, datalog is regarded as a
7 > universal query language. SQL can be expressed in datalog, just like it
8 > can be expressed in relational algebra/calculus.
9
10 Well, knowledge base makes me think of logic, so settings repository might be
11 even a better word. It could however also be that I had too many encounters
12 with logicians.
13 > each concrete architecture/platform can implement its own
14 > 'instal/uninstall' strategy.
15 >
16 > > Ebuilds wouldn't anymore be a shell scripts, but the build module will
17 > > offer all necessary commands to build something. Ebuild will simply be
18 > > a command sequence. Same goes for the install module.
19 >
20 > This makes eclasses overriding/adding some default behaviour or
21 > 'meta-data' somewhat more difficult to implement.
22 > I'd split ebuilds into two parts: the part detailing 'howto' and the
23 > part detailing 'about'.
24
25 My idea is basically that there is a structure with embedded shellscripts.
26 This way we don't need bash for the metadata, only for actual unpacking,
27 configuring, compiling and installing
30 > I certainly wouldn't exclude using a database (like in sql databases,
31 > etc.), but wouldn't exclude other possibilities too. If anyone wants to
32 > create one huge file containing all data in his own syntax, that should
33 > be possible because of the modular design.
34
35 Me neither, it should be an option however.
36
37 Paul
40 Paul de Vrieze
41 Gentoo Developer