From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] should we add userpriv and usersandox to make.globals FEATURES?
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:45:52
1 On Tuesday 11 April 2006 04:28, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > Simon Stelling wrote:
3 > > Zac Medico wrote:
4 > >> What do people think about adding userpriv and usersandox to
5 > >> make.globals FEATURES? I've been using these for a long time and
6 > >> haven't had any trouble with them. Are there any arguments against
7 > >> making them default?
8 > >
9 > > I didn't verify this personally, but a few days ago mkay came to
10 > > #g-portage and asked whether FEATURES='usersandbox -sandbox' resulting
11 > > in sandbox enabled is expected behaviour or not. Before we add
12 > > usersandbox to the default FEATURES we should make sure that -sandbox
13 > > always disables sandbox.
14 >
15 > Yeah, we should fix that. In fact, usersandbox seems like a redundant
16 > feature to me. Can we deprecate usersandbox and recommend "sandbox" as
17 > the sole means of toggling sandbox on and off (whether userpriv is
18 > enabled or not)?
19
20 "sandbox userpriv" thus far has meant to prefer userpriv and fallback to
21 sandbox when the ebuild doesn't work with userpriv. When those two are
22 combined with "usersandbox" on the other hand, it has meant to throw
23 everything possible at the ebuild. I personally prefer to not use
24 usersandbox as the sandbox gives a sometimes-not-small performance hit
25 and I'm a ricer. :P
28 Jason Stubbs
29 --
30 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list