From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: [RFC] gpkg format proposal v2
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 08:59:12
1 On Tue, 2018-11-13 at 00:45 +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > > > > > > On Mon, 12 Nov 2018, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > Once tar is used for inner archive format, it is also a natural choice
4 > > for the outer format. If you believe we should use another format, that
5 > > is introduce a second distinct archive format and depend on a second
6 > > tool, you need to have a good justification for it.
7 >
8 > Right, that's a better reason. :)
9 >
10 > > So yes, ar is an option, as well as cpio. In both cases the format is
11 > > simpler (yet obscure), and the files are smaller. But does that justify
12 > > using a second tool that serves the same purpose as tar, given that tar
13 > > works and we need to use it anyway? Even if we skip the fact that ar is
14 > > bundled as part of binutils rather than as stand-alone archiver, we're
15 > > introducing unnecessarily complexity of learning a second tool.
16 > > And both ar(1) and cpio(1) have weird CLI, compared to tar(1).
17 >
18 > cpio is not feasible because of file size limitations (4 GiB IIRC).
21 FWICS, ar has a limit of 10 decimal digits, so around 9.3 GiB.
24 Best regards,
25 Michał Górny