From: Zac Medico <zmedico@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] .53, .54 and beyond...
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 02:30:11
1 Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 23:06 +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
5 >>Okay, new suggestion.
6 >>
7 >>Postpone the cache rewrite from above. Have only the minimal mods necessary to
8 >>fix the PORT_LOGDIR/tee bug. Include the other two as is. That would be
9 >>2.0.54 as per the attached patch. Get that out soon and get trunk out masked
10 >>at around the same time. As soon as 2.0.54 goes stable put trunk into ~arch.
11 >>However, instead of ~arch meaning "regression fixes only" we could just limit
12 >>it to "minor changes only" (ie. no big refactorings, rewrites or similar high
13 >>risk changes) until it is time to stable it.
16 > I think it would be wise to reconsider the cache fixes. I know you have
17 > been away from irc for a while now and have missed the daily events,
18 > but most of the people we have interacted with are expecting the cache
19 > updates in .54 (alot of people complaining about the hanging at 50%)
20 >
21 > The code has been pretty well tested and seems safe on the surface. I
22 > think ferringb's testing has shown that the cache updates use about 14M
23 > of ram where the existing code (as of .52.x) uses about 80M of ram.
26 But still, it's annoying to be stuck with only 2 tiers. Why not put a snapshot of trunk in the tree and package.mask it? Wouldn't that make everyone happy?
27
28 Zac
29 --
30 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list