From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] rsync support for fetching binary packages
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 09:02:07
1 On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 02:47:45PM +0300, Amit Dor-Shifer wrote:
2 > Hi.
3 > Looking at getbinpkg.py, I see that BINPKGs can be retrieved using
4 > http/s s/ftp. I'm wondering about rsync, as it is mostly supported
5 > across portage (and also in layman). Is there some design reasoning
6 > behind this lack of support, or is it that no-one has yet gotten around
7 > to implement it?
8 >
9 > I'm raising the question because I'm implementing a private repository
10 > and would prefer not to service it via http if I don't have to. Right
11 > now, the only feature which is blocking me is this lack of support for
12 > binary packages.
13
14 Look in the code to be sure, but I'd expect it just hasn't been
15 implemented. If I were in your shoes, I'd generalize the SYNC proto
16 support into something usable for binpkgs also- I did this in pkgcore,
17 works fairly well (and could be extended to fetching in general, which
18 again works well enough).
19
20 Personally, I wouldn't dick around with rsync for individual file
21 transfers- http/ftp seems better suited, but I may be missing
22 something about your setup that warrants it.
23
24 Cheers-
25 ~harring